Then, as World War II was nearing it end, the Poles who could, fought in a desperate uprising against the Nazi Army in 1944 as the Germans retreated from the Soviets. Stalin order the Soviet Army not to help the Poles and let the Germans kill as many Poles as possible and destroy what was left of Warsaw. That left a defeated and weaken Poland for Stalin to occupy and keep under Soviet domination until 1989.
Distrust and loathing of Merkel and Putin are mild reactions to the terrible past Poland has suffered stuck between the ruthless occupation by both Germany and Russia. m/r
Trump is welcomed in Warsaw ahead of speech to thousands bused in by the government – as ordinary Poles say 'anyone who Merkel and Putin don't like is good news for us'
- U.S. president landed Wednesday night in Warsaw for meetings with Poland and other nations engaged in a new trading bloc that weakens Russia
- Dignitaries – but not the Polish president – greeted the Trumps on an airport tarmac, along with a small military honor guard and the U.S. ambassador
- Poles see Trump's nationalism as a mirror of their own as they push back against EU mandates on immigration and refugee resettlement
- 'There is no love for Germany in Poland,' one man said Wednesday on a Warsaw street; 'Screw Russia. We don't need Russia,' said another
- Trump will speak Thursday in Krasinski Square, where a monument stands to a 1944 popular uprising against German occupation