Quotes

"Fascism and communism both promise "social welfare," "social justice," and "fairness" to justify authoritarian means and extensive arbitrary and discretionary governmental powers." - F. A. Hayek"

"Life is a Bungling process and in no way educational." in James M. Cain

Jean Giraudoux who first said, “Only the mediocre are always at their best.”

If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Sir Winston Churchill

"summum ius summa iniuria" ("More laws, more injustice.") Cicero

As Christopher Hitchens once put it, “The essence of tyranny is not iron law; it is capricious law.”

"Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan

"Law is where you buy it." Raymond Chandler

"Why did God make so many damn fools and Democrats?" Clarence Day

"If I feel like feeding squirrels to the nuts, this is the place for it." - Cluny Brown

"Oh, pshaw! When yu' can't have what you choose, yu' just choose what you have." Owen Wister "The Virginian"

Oscar Wilde said about the death scene in Little Nell, you would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Thomas More's definition of government as "a conspiracy of rich men procuring their own commodities under the name and title of a commonwealth.” ~ Winston S. Churchill, A History of the English Speaking Peoples

“Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.” ~ Jonathon Swift

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Missing in Action - Cringely on technology


I, Cringely » Blog Archive » Missing in Action - Cringely on technology
I actually posted this because I found the graphic mesmerising, terrifying and fascinating at the same time...

Readers are reporting they can no longer buy an iPhone 4. Supplies are sold-out, but even more telling the Apple stores can’t even predict when they’ll have product to sell. This strongly suggests Apple has halted production and is going for a hardware fix. Not surprisingly, this unavailability hasn’t been noted yet in the press but I’d expect it to be a major issue at today’s press conference in Cupertino as Steve Jobs attempts to explain his way out of the current PR fiasco.

Update — The Apple event is over and all iPhone 4 users are getting free bumpers. But I stand by my story. Mrs. Cringely has a bumper and still finds her iPhone 4 almost unusable. Apple must be working on a true solution to these problems for future production.

I liked one comment:

Alex says:

I am right handed. I always hold my phone with my left hand when I talk or when I surf. I have never had the signal drop. I don’t know 10 people with iPhone 4s, but I know at least 5. None of them have ever seen it happen. I actually spent almost an hour trying to reproduce the drop with a bunch of Android fanboys watching me do this and giving suggestions what else I might try. It never happened. And I was in an room with a rather spotty AT&T reception.

All I can say – people with signal drop issues should wash their hands more often.

That goes for food-service workers too!

I have to tell you all that I can't use an iPhone, nor text. I'm lucky to read phone numbers on my cell phone. Why? I'm getting older and my arms, although they are long enough, when my reach gets to the point of grasp, the text is too small to read (clear looking, but too small, unlike big and blurry up close). Why don't I wear reading glasses?- you ask. I do when I read, but not when I drive or ride Moose or at work.

The iPad looks like a good solution, but I'm waiting for the next generation to get the bugs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment