Quotes

"Fascism and communism both promise "social welfare," "social justice," and "fairness" to justify authoritarian means and extensive arbitrary and discretionary governmental powers." - F. A. Hayek"

"Life is a Bungling process and in no way educational." in James M. Cain

Jean Giraudoux who first said, “Only the mediocre are always at their best.”

If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Sir Winston Churchill

"summum ius summa iniuria" ("More laws, more injustice.") Cicero

As Christopher Hitchens once put it, “The essence of tyranny is not iron law; it is capricious law.”

"Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan

"Law is where you buy it." Raymond Chandler

"Why did God make so many damn fools and Democrats?" Clarence Day

"If I feel like feeding squirrels to the nuts, this is the place for it." - Cluny Brown

"Oh, pshaw! When yu' can't have what you choose, yu' just choose what you have." Owen Wister "The Virginian"

Oscar Wilde said about the death scene in Little Nell, you would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Thomas More's definition of government as "a conspiracy of rich men procuring their own commodities under the name and title of a commonwealth.” ~ Winston S. Churchill, A History of the English Speaking Peoples

“Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.” ~ Jonathon Swift

Monday, November 18, 2013

Today We All Hate Flying! Seven Hours in Coach

I really used to like to fly. I flew all the time, and went about every where I could. I had packing down to ten minute science and could be about anywhere in a day or two.
Into the late 1980's I still wore a coat and tie when I flew. I can still remember my girlfriend answering her door, after I came straight from the airport one weekend. She saw I was wearing a tie and said sweetly with smile, "you are so old-fashioned." 
Commercial traveling, from it's inception, seemed to have certain rules of formality, much as some "better," or at least very expensive, restaurants put up some pretense of adherence for the characterless, clueless, nouveau snooty. When commercial airline travel became more commonplace in the first decades following World War II, people still dressed well to do most things in public, unless otherwise required by their job or school. Even certain cites had a minimal dress code. In America most Southern, Mid-Western cities, New York (Manhattan) and San Francisco seemed to have held out the longest. But dress codes have all but vanished with seats a man and most women can sit in with some comfort along with eatable meals.
Now it takes as long to go through, the mostly needless and bureaucratic, TSA as it, not all that long ago took me to fly half way across the county.
Alas, not all is progress, especially when the government insinuates itself. m/r

Seven Hours in Coach - Taki's Magazine
by John Derbyshire  November 14, 2013

I note with interest that January 1, 2014 marks the centenary of scheduled commercial passenger airplane flights. I note with further interest, although the interest now has some dark tones, that my own experience as a plane passenger will cover nearly half of those hundred years. On August 25, 1965, I took wing from London for a vacation in Barcelona, transported thither by British European Airways, now long defunct. That’s a lot of years ago. Hence the dark tones. Eheu, fugaces labuntur anni!
No memory remains of that flight, though the date is stamped in one of my old UK passports. Most likely my thoughts were fully occupied with anticipation of a month in the company of my female companion on sun-struck beaches far from parental authority. Our affections eventually proved to be as mortal as British European Airlines, but it was a pretty nice vacation in what was then a remote, unspoiled village of whitewashed houses where everyone slept for three hours at midday, men squirted wine into their mouths from a bota de vino, the grocer slapped the hanging meat so you could see it without the flies, and the benign gaze of Generalissimo Francisco Franco radiated Counter-Reformation assurance over all. Nowadays the place looks like MiamiEheu! Eheu! etc.
“This is the source of all metaphysics: extreme boredom.”
Er, where was I going with this? Oh, right: Yesterday I flew in from London on British Airways, under whose wing (as it were) BEA found its final resting place. The flight was horrible. I hate flying. I need a week at least to recover.
How horrible was it? Let me number the ways.
Mainly, the people—my fellow passengers.
Please go to this article by using the link http://takimag.com/article/seven_hours_in_coach_john_derbyshire/print#ixzz2l1N6AL6Q

No comments:

Post a Comment