Quotes

"Fascism and communism both promise "social welfare," "social justice," and "fairness" to justify authoritarian means and extensive arbitrary and discretionary governmental powers." - F. A. Hayek"

"Life is a Bungling process and in no way educational." in James M. Cain

Jean Giraudoux who first said, “Only the mediocre are always at their best.”

If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Sir Winston Churchill

"summum ius summa iniuria" ("More laws, more injustice.") Cicero

As Christopher Hitchens once put it, “The essence of tyranny is not iron law; it is capricious law.”

"Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan

"Law is where you buy it." Raymond Chandler

"Why did God make so many damn fools and Democrats?" Clarence Day

"If I feel like feeding squirrels to the nuts, this is the place for it." - Cluny Brown

"Oh, pshaw! When yu' can't have what you choose, yu' just choose what you have." Owen Wister "The Virginian"

Oscar Wilde said about the death scene in Little Nell, you would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Thomas More's definition of government as "a conspiracy of rich men procuring their own commodities under the name and title of a commonwealth.” ~ Winston S. Churchill, A History of the English Speaking Peoples

“Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.” ~ Jonathon Swift

Saturday, January 25, 2014

There was no comparison! The Mac at 30

The PC was designed like a linear factory assembly line. It was designed to control its user, not the user to control it. That was why governments and big businesses like it, not to mention, it was comparatively cheap. It had a Q-DOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) that was nearly stolen by the phony lib, Bill Gates, then later run by the male version of Hillary Clinton, Steve Balmer.

I was in the Bay Area in 1984. I was looking at PCs. I had linked a couple of Commodore 64s together and trying to get it to work with embryo software. I wanted more and had read about new possibilities that surrounded me in San Francisco at the time (and still does I presume).

I was in a new type of store in San Mateo that sold Computers. I was looking at a photo-green-negative-screen-upper-case-only IMB and another PC (I can't recall the brand). They were most unsatisfying.

Then the salesman asked me, "Do you like cats?"

I said I did, because I did.
He went to an elegant self-contained buff colored box with a bright black and white, positive image CRT. There was elegant book looking typeface and a line-art cat on the screen.

The salesman typed a few keys and clicked a small wired box next to it. A noisy printer came alive next to the small, elegant box and keyboard.
A beautiful font and book plate looking line-art cat stepped its way out of the printer, line by line. What I had seen on the screen was the same as was printed on the paper.
The salesman ripped off that printed paper with track holes on each sides. He gave it to me. 

I WAS HOOKED. 
I bought a Mac 128. I still have Macs and won't have any other computer. I now will use a PC if I really have to, but they work much like Macs now (of course).

The Mac has slipped into our lives and changed them with the same type of effect the automobile did at the first part do the twentieth century. It brought us into a much more self-contained, in some ways, easier world just as did the car. But, something large in our lives was lost. I know well of the life with a yellow pad, long hand, research libraries, slide rules and most of all secretaries. I miss secretaries the most. 
I also know of horses and how much, much more convenient cars are. Horses are much more dangerous than cars. I am amazed that more people weren't killed by them before they were cast into a secondary position of sport and recreation. But I wouldn't trade anything for my horse. My horse, at least, instills a greater, stronger bond than I've experienced anywhere else.
Now, though, I travel in the subway in Manhattan. It is both a relic and legacy of the end of the nineteenth century and works in many older cities that built up before cars, but not well in cities like Los Angeles, that grew around horizontal space, with spread out communities and the automobile. Subways still work great in Manhattan, London, Paris and Moscow. The subways work even better now with WIFI, as I sit between two commuters on the 'C' train, and we all have our MacBook Pros open to various tasks and in communication elsewhere. 

The best line I heard about Steve Jobs (whom I saw at the first MacWorld Expo) was that he never did market research. He made the market himself. m/r

The Mac at 30 | The Weekly Standard

No comments:

Post a Comment